All my life I’ve been a super picky eater. At different points in my life I wouldn’t even eat a peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese or a cheeseburger.
Thank goodness I met Wade (thank goodness for a bajillion reasons) because he pushed me out of my picky habits and now I enjoy eating a variety of foods!
This past weekend we made Stuffed Bell Peppers… talk about yummy!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers.
- Remove and discard the stems, then finely chop the tops; set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds and as much of the membrane as you can.
- Place the peppers cut-side up in a baking dish just large enough to hold them upright.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up the lumps, until the meat is cooked through and just beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to get rid of the fat.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the onions and chopped peppers and cook until beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and zucchini and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and a pinch or 2 of red pepper flakes.
- Cook until everything is heated through, then stir in the beef and rice.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Fill the peppers with the rice mixture and top each with a sprinkle of the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Pour a small amount of water into the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle the peppers with a little olive oil.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted and lightly browned, another 15 to 20 minutes.